Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 53 ........ Wakulla Springs, FL 0 miles

Our rest day at Wakulla Springs State Park was just that REST!  We had a feroucious thunderstorm early morning on Sunday, and it poured until early afternoon.  We were all glad that we were not on the bikes.....

We spend some time in the lodge lobby watching a DVD about the park, it's history, and the wildlife.  The neat connection for me was that the builder/developer of the park, Edward Ball was married to the sister of A.I. Dupont and apparently DuPont money financed the building of the lodge and the personal private retreat that later became Wakulla Springs State Park.  As some of the readers may know I was born in Wilmington, DE and early years were spent on a farm owned by A.I. DuPont, directly across the street from the DuPont estate....so on my day off, I learned a little history and thought about Wilmington, DE, the house on Rockland Road and many happy times.

While Wakulla Spings was beautiful, probably not my favorite choice for a day off location.  It was hot, humid, buggy, lousy cell service, no internet (thus no blog) and no TV in the rooms...but if this trip has taught me anything, it is flexibility.  So we made our own entertainment and read books and rested, getting ready for the last four days of riding.....

No comments:

Post a Comment