Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day 28 ....... Texas Hill County (SIT)*

I’m not sure why they call it the Texas Hill Country. When you are on a bike and climbing it for sure seems like mountains. Slopes of 10 -12% also don’t seem to qualify as hills. The rumor is that Lance Armstrong trains for the Tour here, so I’m sure it must be mountains not hills.

We rode from Camp Wood to Vanderpool TX, 39 Miles of climbing and the corresponding down hills. The views were ok, hills green and almost lush with spring foliage. But for me, I’d rather see the desert and red rocks of AZ, but then I guess that’s why I live there!

I did finally see some live wildlife…..2 wild turkeys. Most of what I have seen has been dead (road kill), deer galore, we stopped counting we saw so many, a Javelina, rattlesnake, turkey vultures, and I think I also saw a dead antelope, at least that’s what it looked like to me. But surprisingly enough I have not seen an armadillo alive or dead. I recall that when we lived in East Texas they were plentiful by the side of the road.

Tonight we are lodging at the Foxfire Cabins on the Sabinal River. I’m sharing a beautiful cabin with a huge deck right on the river, with a view of the Texas Hills, it’s quite relaxing, the sun is shining the sky is blue, it’s in the 80’s and there is a gentle breeze. It almost washes away the pain of the climbs earlier in the day….looking forward to dinner.

3 comments:

  1. Linda- Congratulations on your ride! I really admire that you have taken on this tremendous challenge and find it so inspirational. I would imagine that it is a life changing experience and certainly one that you will carry with you for the rest of your life--what an accomplishment. Keep up the great riding and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - you go girl! Thought of you today as we rode up to the gate! When you complete your journey of "hills", mountains, goats, chip sealing, head winds, and whatever else Mother Nature throws your way, you will zoom past all of us on Saturday mornings!!

    Keep the peddle down and the wind at your back!!

    Many good thoughts..stay safe!

    Sarah Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read each of your blogs wishing I was with you on this journey, crazy right :).. You are such a amazing person and I cant wait to read your next blog or to ride with you once you are back home....

    ReplyDelete