Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 26 ........... Texas Chip Seal (SIT)*

So, I recovered from riding 111 miles, had a great night in Del Rio TX at the Lake View Inn, indeed with a view of a beautiful reservoir in a canyon. This morning we started out for an easy day of 43 miles. Really, now how difficult could that be? no climbing to speak of just a straight shot on State Route 90 to Bracketville TX and the Fort Clark Springs motel.

As it turned out it could be quite difficult on Texas chip seal. I've decided that this is one of those things that you just never consider, just as I never anticipated that it would be freezing and snowing on our trip.....The road surface was so tough we just bounced and vibrated for 43 miles. As my riding buddy for the day said "I feel like a bobble head doll with a broken spring". That pretty much sums it up. The wind was not in our favor. The scenery was, well, West Texas, pretty unremarkable. We did see some goat farms and lots of ranches.....

The high point of the day for me was being in the lead pack and beating the van and trailer to our place of rest for the night. I'll confess it's not as terrific as it seems, it's just that everyone else went shopping since Del Rio was the first town in miles....there was a Walmart and a Ross! But, since I had no need to shop, I just kept riding, and arrived at the lovely Fort Clark Springs Motel, on an old Army Installation built in the late 1800's. We were treated to a huge pool fed by natural springs, the day was warm and we were able to just sit and relax. Since we had no Internet service there was nothing else to do; like update Blogs etc......

On to Camp Wood, TX

*Still in Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment