Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 19 ...... SIT (Stil in Texas)

I know that I have said before that we started riding at the "crack of dawn" but this morning, we really did, honestly, the sun was just peaking over the horizon and glaring on us making it difficult to see the road. The road, was Interstate 10 again, the beginning leg of our journey from Van Horn to Fort Davis (90 miles).

We were blessed again with tail winds, and we flew down the shoulder of I 10. But alas, we had to exit to make our way to Davis Mountains State Park and Indian Lodge, our sanctuary for the evening and tomorrow (a day off!). While I'm sure I'll complain about being in Texas for so long, the views of the Davis Mountains and the McDonald observatory were beautiful. As we exited I 10 the road turned and the tail winds became cross winds and the beautiful butter like shoulder of I 10 became Texas chip seal (see yesterday for description)

I struggled to get to the Woman Tours trailer for lunch at the 45 mile mark, and when I arrived I decided I had had enough, and jumped in the Van for the final 45 miles.

Life is full of rationalizations and today I rationalized myself to a ride in the Van. I've decided this journey is about the experience and not about biking every mile. I've already biked more than I ever thought I would. I'm learning flexibility, I'm learning that every day is a new gift (as long as the legs work) and that I should just enjoy myself and not beat myself up if I hop in the Van. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Tonight, I'm not snug in bed, but in a beautiful lobby of the Indian Lodge at the Davis Mountains State Park, built in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps Workers. A beautiful architectural gift. Tomorrow perhpas I can get some pictures....off to dinner....

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for listening to your body. you are doing so good.

    ReplyDelete