Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tucson has hills!

Well, the Tour de Tucson is over....a bit of milestone, as I pedaled along with 9,000 other cyclists. It was quite an adventure, a bit thrilling to be close to the start of the 66 mile segment with 1,400 others. The day was beautiful, weather perfect and Tucson views specatular. However, the day had challenges. As we lined up early at the start line, I realized that this was where the pros were we lining up, so as the start occured there was a great whooosh as most of those in line behind us went flashing past. The first 4-6 miles were tough as I found it hard to get in rythym, then came the creek bed filled with sand where we pushed and carried our bikes for a 1/4 mile, then came the 15% grade. By this point I was convinced I would never finish! But after some orange slices served by the girl scouts and rolling hills, I found my pace and never looked back. The best part was the 8 miles down Tangarine Road, what a blast!

Many thanks to the other riders from "The Ladies" who encouraged me, and where there at the end to cheer me in....I finished #1,088 in 5 hrs. 51 minutes and am feeling a bit more confident about riding....today, the day after, I can walk without pain, feeling pretty good!

1 comment:

  1. All right, at the finish you looked as though you had just got out of bed and went for a short ride. you looked refreashed and full of life.. Congrats on a great ride

    ReplyDelete